Getting Married . . . in 3 Days!

Chastity was once a virtue I dismissed as something that applied to “those religious types” who were brought up in the Church. I conjured up every reason imaginable to excuse myself from its demands. I told myself that purity was abnormal, and I settled for living a life that deadened me within. I saw the way that our Lord was calling, but I ran away.

Now, many years later (and three days away from my wedding!) I recognize that I’m marrying my best friend because God opened my eyes to the value of purity.

This awakening happened in 2008 when I met Nadia and Mike, as they were preparing for their wedding. Nadia was everything I thought the “typical Church girl” to be. At the time, I was immersed in the world and was battling to accept myself and my struggles with purity. I was afraid of being judged, and so I never opened up to anyone. However, Nadia embraced me with a hug, and her welcome was telling of the love that exists in the Church. I remember their joy, their laughter, and their love. Every judgement I made was proven false, and I could not deny the reality of God’s love or the joy of purity. Experiencing their wedding was like witnessing a sign of Divine love. I realized the secret to their love and joy—and the reason for all their laughter—was their united surrender to our Lord.

I left the Church in tears. For the first time I was aware of the fruits of life in Christ and the wounds within caused by my sin. It was after their wedding that my journey with God really began.

It was not easy and it did not happen overnight. It took work and sacrifice to embrace chastity. There were tears and many more falls to come. But in 2010, everything changed for good. I committed myself to purity. I discovered the Theology of the Body and the beauty of confession. Everything dead inside gradually came alive again. I discovered that God’s love did not vanish despite my shortcomings and sins.

Now, as I approach the altar with a joy-filled heart, united to my fiancé, I feel a responsibility to share the message of chastity. My hope and prayer is that my wedding day might be a sign to others of God’s love in the world.

Pure love reveals our true worth and beauty in God. It’s worth every sacrifice. Love is not expressed by the one who desires only to hold you, but by the one who strives to uphold your purity. Chastity allows us to experience joy that surpasses a physical touch. It is the outpouring of God’s love, enabling us to recognize human love in the way that our Lord intends for each of His children.

May all of you struggling with purity allow God to win your hearts as he won mine.

__________________

headshot23Catherine Ciarallo is a full-time Public Middle School educator and teaches Catechism at St.Marguerite d’Youville Parish in the Archdiocese of Toronto. She enjoys giving presentations on chastity and sharing the beauty of the faith through her blog entitled Sacred Sharings for The Soul.

1. I felt like I read this at the right time. Last year, was the toughest year of my life And I too came back to the Church and have been reborn virgin – completely chaste and abstinent. Thank you sister in Christ. I hope you’ll email me to communicate with each other!

By cg | 3 years ago Reply
    • Hello! I’m not the writer, but I will definitely pray for you (:

By Dee | 3 years ago Reply
    • I will also pray for you. Keep up the faith!!

By Kellie | 3 years ago Reply
    • CG,
      Praise God for your return to the Church and your openness to purity!! May you continue to persevere..drawing much strength from our Lord. There is such amazing information and resources available on this site to help too.. You’re not alone in the journey!

By Catherine | 3 years ago Reply
  2. I’m getting married in just over 4 months! So happy for you! Pray for me too! “…I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy.” Hosea 2:19

By Ania | 3 years ago Reply
    • Ania,
      Thank you very much and be assured of the prayers!!

By Catherine | 3 years ago Reply
  3. Thank you for sharing your story. God bless you and your future husband forever. Only thru God’s grace we can maintain that purity. But, we need to ask Him from our heart to receive his grace. And yes, confession the eucharist and key when recoverying from those falls on our way to our ultimate goal.

By Antonio | 3 years ago Reply
    • Amen! Thank you Antonio for your words. The Eucharist and Confession are key throughout the journey in order to sustain us always…it is ongoing. Blessings.

By Catherine | 3 years ago Reply
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your story. You are truly filled with the Holy Spirit. I pray that you will have happy and spirit filled marriage 🙂

By Cam G | 3 years ago Reply
  5. I have never heard the term reborn virgin before. It is so beautiful that I felt heartened by her strong faith & belief. All things are possible with the Lord.

By Larry | 3 years ago Reply
  6. Wow really interesting Hmm I wonder what your fiancé did before you became reborn

By c | 3 years ago Reply
  7. What a blessing it was to witness your wedding day! It was so beautiful! Know that you both continue to be in our prayers. Yours in chastity.

By Mikey G | 3 years ago Reply
    • Mike, it was a blessing to have you and Nadia part of our day! So grateful for that gift. 🙂 be assured of our prayers for you both,

By Catherine | 3 years ago Reply
  8. wow!!! this is an amzing story!, it shows true courage and faith. It’s so amazing !!!! you have inspired me so much!!! your marriage will be a special and beautiful one!
    🙂

By Serena | 3 years ago Reply
  9. Beautiful!
    I am having questions and struggling with accepting a potential “mate” because I committed to purity (and sometimes it’s tough!) but he lived differently. There is sexual activity and cohabitation. I fear he rejects my own deep commitments and also I am worried I will be troubled by his past. I believe in the chaste life as a path to the truest love and respect for another.

By Drea | 3 years ago Reply