Veiled . . . for the sake of the angels

Several years ago, the priest who concelebrated my wedding (Fr. Louis Solcia) suggested that I do something that I hadn’t done since the day I became a bride: wear a veil in church.

I had always considered the veil to be an outdated tradition, reserved for pious elderly women. To be frank, my first thought was, “No way. What will people think? I’ll be the only person under the age of 80 with one!”

I began asking God why he would ask this of me, and wrestled in prayer with him over the idea. Slowly, I put aside my human respect and asked myself, “Why do we all yearn to wear a veil for our First Holy Communion, and dream of wearing one on the day of our wedding, but cringe at the idea of wearing it at any other time?” In both instances, we’re veiled as we approach our earthly or heavenly groom.

I thought, “When it comes to my attire, what’s the difference between how I dress for Saturday’s dinner and Sunday’s Mass?” When I present myself at God’s altar, shouldn’t there be a difference? After all, you might be able to wear your “Sunday Best” for any formal gathering, but you wouldn’t do the same with a veil.

So, despite the insecurities that screamed at me, I put one on and walked into church. Surprisingly, I felt a sense of immediate peace. Soon, what I wore on my head caused me to reevaluate the appropriateness of the rest of my wardrobe. After all, how can a woman veil her head without sufficiently veiling the rest of herself? I found myself becoming more mindful and deliberate in my actions and prayers. It reminded me that I was in a holy place, and in a Holy Presence.

The veil renewed my sensitivity to the sacred. Although I already knew that every church is the dwelling place of God, I felt a deeper realization that he wanted to converse with me. I wanted to be more of a woman of God.

These immediate inner promptings drove me to begin researching the veil. Although I’m still learning its theological significance, I was allured by the fact that St. Paul said women should veil themselves “because of the angels.” I was surprised to learn that the three corners of the veil represent the woman being under the protection of the Holy Trinity.

I was especially intrigued when I read how feminists in the 1960’s exhorted women to “remove your badges of slavery to men and get rid of your veil!” The veil doesn’t represent my slavery toward men, but, as Alice Von Hildebrand remarked, “the female body should be veiled because everything which is sacred calls for veiling.  . . . Veiling indicates sacredness and it is a special privilege of the woman that she enters church veiled.”

At times, it’s hard because I feel as if I’m the only one in church wearing one. At these moments, I sometimes ask, “Why am I doing this?” But, I’m not the only one. Hillary Clinton wore one when she met Pope John Paul II, as did Michelle Obama during her meeting with Benedict XVI. Despite their less-than-Catholic public policies, they veiled themselves. If they veil themselves when they stand in the presence of humans in order to show reverence, how can I not do the same in the presence of God?

In wearing a veil, I’m not under the impression that it makes me more holy or pleasing to God than those who don’t. After all, God looks at our hearts above all else. All I know is that if you’re thinking about wearing one, don’t be afraid. You’re not the only one, and sometimes other women simply need to see your courage and they’ll follow. God did not give us a spirit of fear, but offers us his courage to rise up and be a light to others.

Although there’s much more that could be said, I’ll leave you with these three quotes from other women who have experienced blessings from wearing a veil:

“I think wearing the veil is a beautiful outward symbol of the recognition of femininity and its distinction from masculinity. Wearing it helps me grow in virtue in modesty, in humility, and authentic femininity.”

“People may have stared, I may be exposed to judgment, and no, I am not perfect. None of these reasons were enough to keep me from showing my love and respect for God!”

_________________________

c-evertCrystalina Evert has spoken to hundreds of thousands of people on four continents about the virtue of chastity and is the author of Pure Womanhood and How to Find Your Soulmate without Losing Your Soul. She runs the website womenmadenew.com and lives in Denver with her husband, Jason, and their children. (She loves the veils from www.veilsbylily.com)

1. Crystalina, thank you so much for sharing your “story” of veiling. I am always profoundly impacted by women wearing the veil; the openness of a friend of mine to discuss veiling was one of the factors that started my process of veiling several years ago. Also, I’ve never heard the “three corners representing protection under the Trinity,” and I think that is AWESOME! Do you have a specific place where you read about the significance of the corners?

By AnneMarie Miller | 3 years ago Reply
  2. Yes, Crystalina…this was a great post. I saw your picture in Rome wearing a beautiful veil from Lily and it was shared on the FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CatholicWomensVeilingDevotion/

It is a great witness to see young, beautiful women returning to this practice for the right reasons.

I just started during Advent and haven’t stopped : )

Many blessings~ Theresa

By Theresa | 3 years ago Reply
  3. Love this post! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, which many of us can relate to. Theresa mentioned our veiling group on Facebook; the vast majority of us are/have been the “lone veiler” when we first start out. However, as a veil company owner, I can tell you that growth is tremendous! And about 85% of sales are to women just starting to veil.

To those reading this post: don’t be discouraged! At the parish level it might seem like you’re the only one, but globally you’re part of a large number of women – and it’s growing!

If anyone is interested in quality European veils, I’m the original importer of Spanish and French veils. I also make hand crafted veils. You can visit my website at: http://www.silverhilltreasures.com, and my Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/silverhilltreasures, where I sponsor a veil giveaway every month!

By Karen | 3 years ago Reply
    • Your veils are beautiful, and one day i may have to talk hubby into buying me one, and i even saw the extra large ones which are awesome but have the same problem that has kept me making my own veils.. why do veil makers always keep them short, even the extra large ones, in the back? I have really long hair that i love wearing down, but i also like to cover at least most of it with my veil…but without making my own (which, for a natural edge veil isnt that hard, just time consuming and sometimes for me hard to find the lace (i dont drive and asking hubby to drive all over the area looking for lace hahaha), i cant have that. Ah well. Just think about that 😉 Maybe im not the only one haha. I probably am though teehee. Im kinda weird. I did see one veil on there that looks beautiful and long enough and i may have to put it on my Christmas list.

By Marie | 3 years ago Reply
      • Aw, thanks Marie!

The main reason to keep them shorter in the back is balance – a veil has to be proportionate in order to stay on the head, otherwise if it’s too heavy in back it slips right off!

If you’re interested, I do make custom veils – we can make it any size you want! I can add as many mini snap clips as needed to keep it from slipping! Let me know – admin@silverhilltreasures.com

By Karen | 3 years ago Reply
    • Thanks, I have been amazed by veils from a young age.mi am African so it’s part of my culture that women cover thier heads especially older women but with all this modernization I see a lot of older women with uncovered heads even in church, I am not judging but I don’t like that change. Often I see Muslim women veiled and I always admire them and always tell myself to wear a veil, I have recently started adoration of the blessed sacrament so I think being veiled will really help me in recognising its holy presence. I would definately like one of your veils as soon as I starts working.

By Cecilia | 3 years ago Reply
  4. I grew up in Mexico and no one I knew, except my grandma, wore a veil. I saw pictures of my parents’ wedding and all the women, including little girls, covered their head either with a mantilla or rebozo (shawl). It never occurred to me to ask why they stopped wearing the veil. In 2006, I started going to a parish were several women veil. I became fascinated by their piety but didn’t even consider it for me. In 2008, I moved to Las Vegas and met several Catholic homeschooling moms who also wore the veil. I enjoyed listening to their stories of how they felt the call to wear the veil but I wasn’t sure if I was being called too. So I began asking God for signs. The first sign was that my father in law gave me a mantilla that had belonged to my mother in law who had passed away in 2007 (it had not been worn since the 1960s)! But guess what I did, like Gideon and the fleece I asked for another sign (Judges 6:36-40). The second sign didn’t come until July 2010 when I went on a retreat led by Michael Voris in Bloomindale Indiana at a retreat center ministered by the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate. I took my mother in law’s veil with me and I prayed that if it was God’s will that I wear the veil, the first woman I would see in the chapel would be wearing one. Lo and behold, almost all the women there were covered! So I wore the veil during Mass and prayer in the chapel during the retreat. But when I came down from the mountain, returning to reality, I still was not brave to wear it at Mass in my parish. So I asked for yet 1 more sign. God was so gracious and patient with me. I googled “Why should I wear the veil?” and this article came up: http://mantillawithme.blogspot.com/2010/04/why-wear-veil.html It spoke directly to my heart and I began wearing it ever since. God bless you for sharing your calling, Crystalina!

By Graciela | 3 years ago Reply
  5. Wow, I am kind of like how you started out with your thoughts on the veil. I mean, I do understand why women do it and think it’s beautiful but also unconsciously (and I think insecurely) associate it with “older women” and just an “old tradition.” But after reading this post, it has given me the courage to open my heart up to the Lord in regards to this and seriously consider doing this now. …And I’m sure I will lol God bless!

By Jess | 3 years ago Reply
  6. Veils like this are cool, hehehe… Seriusly, they create a sacred sense… I don’t know how to express this but it’s like someone special is ever under it. Anyway, great article, you give me more reasons to be a catholic as rich is our spiritual tradition. Greetings from Quito, Ecuador.

By Daniel | 3 years ago Reply
  7. Thank you so much for this! You so eloquently expressed what I try to explain to my friends and family. I am a university student and veiling had been on my heart for a year. I finally got my first veil this past Christmas and began to veil this new year. Despite being the only one in my family who veils, I love it. Even though I have been the only one in the entire church one mass with a veil, and sometimes I think my friends are thinking “who are you kidding me? You’ve never done this” but I know it is something I need to do. I cannot express how much this makes me happy to have yet another source to back up my decision.

By Katrin Bernhard | 3 years ago Reply
  8. May I translate your article to Spanish??? Please!!! Many young latinas think it is a prudish person.

By Cecilia Gonzalez | 3 years ago Reply
    • Please do!

By Admin | 3 years ago Reply
  9. THANK YOU!! Veiling is a wonderful recognition of our special calling a women. What man in Scripture is as blessed and revered as the Blessed Virgin? The veil is a beautiful sign of sacredness, not a mark of slavery.

I wear a veil every Sunday. I attend a mass at which most women do. But I also wear it any time I enter a church, regardless of the mass I’m attending and what the popular custom is. This is between Christ and myself, not anyone else in the church. And it is awesome. I’m so glad to hear that you have found veiling to be beneficial and devotional.

This is a great homily on the topic, if you have time: http://www.audiosancto.org/sermon/20090628-Precious-Things-are-Always-Veiled.html

By Elisabeth | 3 years ago Reply
  10. Crystalina
    You and your husband have helped my marriage in such indescribable way.
    I thank you for this article. It has enlightened us yet again

By Arturo and Christina | 3 years ago Reply
  11. My sister got me to start veiling about a year ago. I wasn’t really sure about it at first, so I started with covering my head with scarves, hats and wraps. I have a mantilla that I wear for special occasions and I keep it in my car for times when I go to Adoration or Confession and don’t have anything else to cover my head.
    While I’m the only one in the choir who covers, there is a family at my church that wears beautiful veils, the mother and her three daughters. I have never received strange looks or negative feedback from it (except that when I asked my priest about it he said he found it “distracting”), but I do get plenty of compliments from the older people in my church about how beautiful my scarves are and how nostalgic they feel when they see my mantilla. The youth at my church love the hats I wear. It really opens the door to conversations about modesty and devotion.
    Thank you for writing this. It’s very encouraging and I really feel like this should be a tradition that is brought back. It’s a profoundly beautiful practice.

By Erin | 3 years ago Reply
  12. I started researching about veiling after I saw a picture of you during NCYC here in Indy. I started veiling soon after that. Thank you for sharing your story. You are an inpiration in so many different ways!!!

By Maria | 3 years ago Reply
  13. Thank you for this. I began to wear the veil my mother wore when she became a Catholic in 1960. I have become somewhat discouraged because it’s black, and strangers have been asking my friends if I’m in mourning. I think I will buy a white one and move on. BTW, we bought a white three-pointed mantilla for our daughter’s First Holy Communion. I never knew the significance of the points before.

By Johanna | 3 years ago Reply
  14. This is an amazing post, thank you for posting! It is very providential because I just started wearing a veil to daily Mass and Sunday Mass as well about two weeks ago. This post reaffirms my personal decision, especially as a young girl in the world. I am currently 20 and I agree that wearing a veil has helped me concentrate on the Mass more and recognize that I am there for Jesus. Its helps me keep focus on the important things and be more present at the Mass.

By Janisse | 3 years ago Reply
  15. Crystalina what a beautiful post. I am a 58 yr old devout catholic who put away my veil in the late 60’s. I still own it and I wore it to a papal mass in St Peters square in 2000. After reading your post I think it should be worn on Sundays from here on out. Thank you for sharing

By Linda Hillard | 3 years ago Reply
  16. Hi Crystalina! I love this idea and know many girls who have done this. I know my mom use to always enter mass wearing a veil and love the story she use to tell me of putting a tissue on her head when she forgot her veil once. 🙂 This also makes me think of Maronite Catholic Churches where the altar itself is actually veiled. I wrote a short post on this and it might be cool to read!

I am praying for you and am so thankful there are strong females,like you, telling women of this world the truth about their role as women and beauty in the Church.

By Maura Weis | 3 years ago Reply
  17. Can you tell me where you got your veil? I loved this article.

By Stacey | 3 years ago Reply
  18. Beautiful post Mrs. Evert. Thank you for your witness. Please pray for my wife who has been away from the church for many years. 🙁

By Daniel | 3 years ago Reply
  19. This is very true. As a young girl sometimes my family and I would go to Latin mass and obviously if not the norvous ordo mass but now that We always go to the Latin mass I experienced a wanting. A wanting to dress more modestly, because of wearing a veil. Not only that but I experience a stronger connection to God, one that I’ve been urging for in the past year. And I do feel more at peace as well. All thanks to Latin mass. Wearing a veil helps you focus on mass and the Eucharist. I strongly advise the Latin mass to everyone because there is much more sacredness and reverence shown to the blessed sacrament and it brings out the beauty of the mass itself.

By Deana Ramirez | 3 years ago Reply
  20. I LOVE VEILING!!! At first I was skeptical but then I felt more in tune with what God wants of me. I don’t completely understand it but I LOVE what Crystalina had shared from her research. Thank you

By Mindy Thornlow | 3 years ago Reply
  21. Thanks for this Crystalina!

By Superfish1507 | 3 years ago Reply
  22. Thank you so much for this! It was just what I needed. I come from the traditional church and always wore a veil. I’ve told me husband how I feel it is right and really yearn to wear a veil again but have been hesitant because, as you said, it seems that no one under 80 in my church wears a veil. Hardly a valid reason to not wear one, I will return to my veil this sunday. Thank you!!

By Allegra | 3 years ago Reply
  23. Thank you so much for this insightful article. I actually was drawn to the Catholic faith because of the veils; I loved wearing them, I felt shielded and covered so I could focus on what was happening in the Mass, because I was wanted to know more about it. Now that I have joined the Catholic faith I would love to wear veils again. Thank you again!

By Jerri | 3 years ago Reply
  24. Thank you for writing this. I have noticed more ladies veiling at my parish and found it curious. I have a question, and it might be completely unrelated, but is there a conflict with a woman who veils also serving as a lay minister during the mass (Eucharistic minister or lector?) I’m very curious and I don’t know how I feel about it

By Katie | 3 years ago Reply
    • I wonder about that, too! If veiling is about humility and sanctity, is it in the same mindset to be at the altar as a layperson?

By SouthernMom | 3 years ago Reply
  25. I just started to veil at the beginning of Lent 2014! I love it for exactly all the reasons you stated! I too am doing more research on the history of veiling. And yes, Veils by Lily are amazingly beautiful! Thank you for being a wonderful woman of God!

By Kelly | 3 years ago Reply
  26. While I appreciated this article on wearing a veil, I do not agree with the last quotation from a woman who wears the veil, as she states that, “I wear a veil because while I am in the presence of God, I wish to be hidden from everyone but Him. It reminds me that I am there for Him.”

As we are the Body of Christ, Mass is the most beautiful way for us to be united to that Body–to see Christ in each other and experience unity as we receive the Eucharist. Personal prayer and devotion are important, but I don’t think that’s the purpose of Mass. And it shouldn’t, therefore, be the purpose for wearing a veil.

By Amanda S | 3 years ago Reply
    • With all due respect, I disagree. The mass would be celebrated by the priest if we were there or not. We are not the focus of the mass and our intercommunion is not the emphasis. Christ and the sacrifice of the mass itself are. I think the idea that fellowship is a focus is a very recent one and I’m not convinced it’s accurate. In fact, Pius XII stated, “the chief element of divine worship must be interior” -Mediator Dei.

By Elisabeth | 3 years ago Reply
      • Elizabeth – respectfully, you may not agree with it, but Amanda is correct. CCC# 1389 “the Church obliges the faithful “to take part in the Divine Liturgy on Sundays and feast days”…or more often still, even daily.” CCC# 1396 “The unity of the Mystical Body: the Eucharist makes the Church…Throughit Christ unites them to all the faithful in one body – the Church…Through it we have been called to form but one body…” There is no “me and Thee” in the Mass – which is why the tabernacle was removed from behind the altar in parishes that had a separate space – the Mass is the “liturgy” – work of the PEOPLE. God called a people to Himself, not just a person (as in the Torah).

By l klajbor | 3 years ago Reply
      • With all due respect, from the Acts of the Apostles on it has been about unity. St. Paul talks about this constantly, the Eucharistic Prayers all state this, as do most of the Rites of the Church. Not new, very old.

By Howard Bartsch | 3 years ago Reply
  27. Thank you so much for this post (as well as all the amazing work you do)!! I’ve been feeling this draw towards veiling since this January, and Satan has convinced me to keep myself from doing it by meaningless “but if”s (but what if you’re canting? Are you really going to wear it then? But what if no one else wears one? But what if you get weird looks?). But everywhere I turn, it seems like it’s just around every corner (whereas I didn’t even know what it really was last year). I’ve been putting it off by fear, but I know that God is calling me to it. This blog post completely solidified God’s will for me, and I can’t thank you enough for that. You and Jason are such blessings to the Church!

By Hadleigh | 3 years ago Reply
  28. I love this article and have considered veiling myself, but I will point out that it is mandatory for ladies to wear veils while meetng the Pope, whether they want to or not. Mrs. Clinton and Mrs. Obama did not choose to veil out of deep respect for the Pope.

By Emily | 3 years ago Reply
  29. Sigh, if only I were a girl. . .

By Blake | 3 years ago Reply
  30. Dear smore, so happy to see your first blog in the website. That too on a topic which was given to you by The Holy Spirit.

First of all, to all my dear sisters around the globe…
    If anyone consider veiling as something unfashionable, let me share my feeling on that as a men..

I have noticed those girls with veils more beautiful(even though veiling does have an indirect purpose to cover those beautiful hair from the foxy eyes of men) and always felt like they are holy and very sacred! I have noticed many times that even perverts find themselves uncomfortable to mess with these girls. May be because of the protection under the Holy Trinity!! Praise God!

I love and respect all my dear veiled sisters much more !! Hats off!!

I am from the province named Kerala in India. Our province is the one with maximum number of catholics in the whole nation. Kerala is having the highest number of catholic retreat centers in the world.

Things are changing here too.. From CATHOLICS to Catholics and to catholics!!

Praying for all the young men and women around the globe to get transformed under this new evangelization!! let the church bloom to welcome her groom on the day of Glory!!

God loves you all…

By Matt Pratt | 3 years ago Reply
    • Sorry it was “Dear sister” and not “Dear smore”. May God continue blessing you Mr and Mrs Evert.

By Matt Pratt | 3 years ago Reply
  31. I grew up wearing hats and veils. I was also taught that it was to draw attention away from a woman’s ‘crowning glory’–her hair–by covering it. Now, because few wear veils, wearing one actually draws more attention on the individual.

By Linda Mayer | 3 years ago Reply
  32. Hurray! So happy to see this first post of what I’m sure will be a beautiful, humble witness to the True Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist! I did a little happy dance when I saw Jason’s first Facebook post about this project about a year ago – and I just wanted to say, Crystalina, if you ever want witnesses/guest posts/brainstorms/help of any kind from high school and college girls, there’s been a recent flourishing of veiling in my parish(es) here in Texas among us under-25 crowd. We’d love to help!

I myself began veiling about three years ago (wow, has it really been that long?), and my #1 reason is because, as y’all know, the Bible is a love story, from Genesis to Revelation. We are called to the supper of the Lamb, His wedding feast – He is the bridegroom, and we as the Church are the bride for whom He gives up his life. We take part in the Mass as His beloved, walking down the aisle of the church to receive Him – and for me, wearing a veil really helps me remember this fact: that I am recklessly loved!

This is really beautiful, and I’m excited to see where it goes. Keep up the wonderful work!

– Annie Pietra
    St. Mary’s Catholic Center at Texas A&M/Prince of Peace Catholic Church

By Annie Pietra | 3 years ago Reply
  33. Also, caring about how beautiful a veil is–doesn’t that defeat the purpose?

By Linda Mayer | 3 years ago Reply
  34. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the veil (mantilla). Many times my wife might be the only one wearing a veil in Church. Is good to know that she is not alone. Thanks again and may God continue to bless your ministry.

By Raul Santiago | 3 years ago Reply
  35. My first thought on reading this was oh no! Years ago in my teens I wore them. Black and white (I had one of each) and loved them. And as I proceeded to read further I realized what a beautiful significance they have. Really, I would be delighted to wear them again. The face under them would not be as youthful !!! BUT! I would be wearing them for there symbolism having now been enlightened. Thank you so very much for sharing this. Blessings Bernadette Avison

By Bernadette J Avison | 3 years ago Reply
  36. My first thought on reading this was oh no! Years ago in my teens I wore them. Black and white (I had one of each) and loved them. And as I proceeded to read further I realized what a beautiful significance they have. Really, I would be delighted to wear them again. The face under them would not be as youthful !!! BUT! I would be wearing them for there symbolism having now been enlightened. Thank you so very much for sharing this. Blessings Bernadette Avison

By Bernadette J Avison | 3 years ago Reply
  37. Sorry I have done a double there.

By Bernadette J Avison | 3 years ago Reply
  38. Thanks for the article. Whilst I do not associate the veil with just being an outdated old lady’s tradition and appreciate when young Catholic women wear them, I have always felt it would be sacrilegious for me to do so. Because, like you say, holy and sacred things are veiled, and as an adult convert with a past full of sin & un-chasteness, I feel like I would be making a mockery of all the holy things & holy women who wear them. God sees to the heart & I’d dread for him to look upon me as a hypocrite, with a beautiful holy exterior & ugly interior. But I appreciate reading the different perspectives. God bless.

By Esther | 3 years ago Reply
    • The veil is also a sign of humility and desire of conversion. I too have my past… everyone does. Don’t let that be an obstacle.

By Gin | 3 years ago Reply
    • But when we turn to Jesus we are made new, a new creation in Christ. Your sins and ugly past are forgiven and you are cleansed and made holy. You would not be a hypocrite if you wore a veil. Wearing a veil can for so many of us (me included!) be a sign of how God can change a life and transform a heart. All of us are on a journey toward holiness, and none of us are perfect in holiness while still on earth, but the important thing is that we keep on working toward it…..no matter where we started from. May the Lord show you how much He loves you and that you are not the same person you were. Never let a sinful, ugly past stop you from showing the love and devotion you have for Jesus now.

By Laura P | 3 years ago Reply
  39. I have loved reading this article. In all the time I have been going to mass I have never seen anyone wearing veils during mass. I am so thankful for all the work you and your husband do and have learned so much about the Catholic faith in the process. I think it is a lovely idea to wear a veil during mass, and it is something I am starting to pray about.
    God bless.

By Katrina | 3 years ago Reply
  40. My daughters are altar servers. Our church has very few altar serves, to the point that my girls altar serve almost every weekend. Is it appropriate for them to wear a veil while serving? I really want to start this beautiful tradition/devotion with them.

By Jennifer | 3 years ago Reply
    • Jennifer, although some will argue girls shouldn’t serve (the Church does allow it), they can absolutely wear a veil while serving. They are, after all, in the presence of the Blesses Sacrament. I would recommend a chapel cap, because of the candles – you wouldn’t want a veil catching fire!

By Karen | 3 years ago Reply
  41. What a LOVELY article!!!

I’m 52, so growing up I remember seeing women wearing mantillas at Mass. I couldn’t wait to be old enough so that I could wear one, too! Alas, women and girls wearing veils are not a common sight anymore in most Catholic churches. But I have noticed more and more women have started to wear veils at Mass again.

We see veils being used as a sign of respect and sacredness in Scripture as well.

In the Old Testament Temple, the Holy of Holies was veiled. Only the Chief Priest was allowed to enter the Holy of Holies, and then only once a year. For here dwelt God’s intimate presence between the wings of the two angels mounted on the Ark of the Covenant.

Even now, in these days of irreverence, things that are holy and sacred are still veiled.

In the Catholic Church, the Tabernacle is traditionally veiled. How about the ciborium that holds the Blessed Sacrament? Traditionally, it always had a veil over it. Also, there is the canopy that is carried over the Blessed Sacrament in a procession. And how about the humeral veil that the priest wears draped over his shoulders, arms, and hands during Benediction, so that even his consecrated hands do not touch the golden monstrance that contains Our Lord’s Body?
    All of these “veilings” show respect and reverence for mystery and sacredness.

In addition to St. Paul’s comments on veiling (1 Corinthians 11:15), Dr. Alice von Hildebrand pointed out to me another dimension of “the veil”. Women, by their physical nature, are the very vessels of life. So every woman—due to the nature of her God-given femininity — has a certain mystery and sacredness, which is her ability to cooperate with her husband and with God in the sacredness of creation. How appropriate that a woman’s awe-inspiring privilege is recognized by veiling. This is a deeply meaningful custom that has, unfortunately for women today, fallen by the wayside with many female church-goers.

Now that I understand this it is an honor for women to be veiled, I think that the veil is a beautiful way of honoring the sacred calling and privilege of women. Plus, it is a holy custom that was followed by all the female Saints of the Church.

God bless you, and thank you so much for sharing your journey. May it encourage others to the same end.

By Colleen Hammond | 3 years ago Reply
  42. Thank you for writing this article!

By Juventutem DC | 3 years ago Reply
  43. Dear Crystalina,

Whenever i went to mass (specially in the early weeks of an ordeal i’m currently going through) and i happened to be wearing a hoodie i’d simply lift it over my head when kneeling half an hour before mass began. Perhaps it’s an amateur way of ‘using a veil’, but i can understand the reverence you’ve described here in so small a gesture. I feel my heart and whole self is more open in silent prayer, confess to grow to love it even in a minor way and before mass for me personally. Really amazing to learn that the three corners of the veil “represent the woman being under the protection of the Holy Trinity”, so respect sister 😉

Let me however be the devil’s advocate for a moment, and say someone reading this article would go, “Oh – so you’re against the idea of Muslim women being forced to wear a veil and within the same breath promote Catholic women to wear one? Little two-faced there”, how would you respond to that? Cos i imagine there might be people who’d think that and would like to know how such a comment can be answered if i ever face such a situation.

Well done, and keep me in your prayers.

By D. | 3 years ago Reply
  44. Thank you for is post I wear a veil sometimes but not at every parish I attend for fear others will think I’m trying to have a ‘holier than thou’ approach to mass which of course I’m not, but your post has made me realise I am not there for them but God.

By Christina | 3 years ago Reply
  45. I used to wear a veil prior to Vatican II. But we wore it every time we entered the church – it wasn’t for just for Mass. So many that wear today – wear it to Mass – but not for Adoration or any other time they are in church – and I’m confused by this. I’m not opposed to others wearing it – and when my mother-in-law asked that we all wore them for my father-in-law’s funeral – I did not issue with that. I’ve always said I would follow the Popes wishes. I do love your explanation and it has given me something to think about. God Bless

By Michelle | 3 years ago Reply
  46. I love veiling and I love your thoughts & article on it! Beautiful! :)) I too hadn’t heard about the 3 corners of the veil being in honor of the Blessed Trinity-how awesome!! Thank you for writing this.

By garysgirl | 3 years ago Reply
  47. Another blessing about wearing the veil is that it is a visible sign that we honor and submit to our husbands (or future husbands) as the spiritual leaders of our homes. St. Paul discusses this in 1 Corinthians 11. Why does acknowledging our husbands as the spiritual head of the home rub us the wrong way? It shouldn’t. And a head-covering/veil should not be thought of as a “badge of slavery”.

By Heather Sherbourne | 3 years ago Reply
  48. A friend of mine shared this from a TOB perspective, and I thought you’d love it:

“The man is uncovered because the priest removed his hat as he entered holy ground. In our symbol as the temple, the woman’s veil is the symbol of the veil (curtain) that the priest passes through.

From a TOB perspective it emphasizes to me that we fully image God in a marital relationship. The woman covered, is the veil, (also looked at as the entrance to heaven). The man uncovered is the symbol of the priest.

Some argue that this makes it appear as if only males actually enter heaven. But the Church, in Her beauty shows us that who is *inside* the veil is inside the Holy of Holies. In other words, by veiling, the woman has entered heaven, by removing his cover, the man enters.

If you watch the bishop during consecration he removes his skull cap at that moment. Traditionally, all priests and deacons wore similar hats. When they removed them showed their level of apostolic succession. Deacons removed theirs at the door, priests removed theirs at the altar steps, and bishops removed theirs at the door to the Holy of Holies.”

By Angela | 3 years ago Reply
  49. Crystalina, thank you for your testimony! When we met in Rome, you wearing your veil was one of the things that most impressed me!

Those details to please Our Lord are the ones which make christian life so fullfilling and mantain our love for God alive, isn’t it?

I pray for your family and for all the brave ones who decide to start wearing a veil …out of love!

By Br. Alejandro | 3 years ago Reply
  50. Thank you so much for emphasizing on this aspect. I have also gone through the same. I used to hate wearing viel in the church. Even though my mother insisted in me doing so, I used ignore her and pretend as though I never heard her. But after renewal of my spirituality I started wearing viel while in the church. This not only changed my attitude and but also my behavior at the church. It was more or less like a horse with pad around its eyes. It helped me to concentrate more in the mass. When you wear a viel you also tend to stop distracting others. Yes…when you wear a viel you actually cover your attire partially, your hear do, your Jewellery and so on…. We all go to worship the Lord in the church and it’s our sole responsibility to protect that environment.

By Alphonse Sofia | 3 years ago Reply
  51. Beautifully said!

By Primrose Pius | 3 years ago Reply
  52. thanks for info it seem like we are god princess but society make forget that i love modesty clothes nd that we pass by see the person not clothes but sometimes is hard keep ourslef quite we don’t dress right but if dress right they don’t like cause fashion or because falling people but i love see it veil i not it feel weird at first like everything u starting doing at begin i think about it

By janice | 3 years ago Reply
  53. This article is perfect.. I have also been trying to decide if yes or no? Have had the same questions and I believe have allowed the “what will they say”, make decisions for me. Thank you a million for this

By norma | 3 years ago Reply
  54. Crystalina, Thank you so much for sharing, (I also wear a veil after Fr Louie asked me) The veil I wear belonged to my grandmother who always wore it to mass, she never stopped wearing one after alot of other women did and although some people may stare I don’t let it bother me.
    Blessings,
    Debby

By Debby Fierro | 3 years ago Reply
  55. I was pleasantly surprised to see mantillas worn by young women at some Newman Catholic Churches on college campuses. These seem to be parochial school graduates…to my public school background it is great to see this tradition. You are not alone!

By Joseph Smith | 3 years ago Reply
  56. Dear Sir / Ma’am,

Peace!

I am organizing a Traditional Mass in Leyte, Philippines. The problem is we don’t have Veils / Mantillas for the women. Can you help me to get these veils for the women. I am not rich and I cannot afford expensive veils. I hope you can help me for this apostolate.

Thank you very much and god bless.

in Jesus and Mary,
    Ariel A. Alonto

By Yeng Abinales | 3 years ago Reply
  57. Dear Sir / Ma’am,

Peace!

Thank you very much and God bless.

in Jesus and Mary,
    Yeng Abinales

By Yeng Abinales | 3 years ago Reply
  58. I am a Catholic school principal. I also use a vail. It keeps me humble and helps me stay focused. I agree with everything it was written in the article. Sometimes I am tempted to look around and see others not wearing a veil but then I’m reminded of the beauty that I only want God to witness; so I smile and remain in his presence. I pray for other women who are thinking about ceiling….its a beautiful feeling.

By Aurora Guerra | 3 years ago Reply
  59. I started wearing a veil thanks to my dear roomate. I had seem my best friend wear one at mass for a long time (she had picked that up in India), but I didn’t really feel it was important, I tohught it was kind off weird. That was until my lovely roomate, who also veils, walked into the house furious after taking her “women’s studies” class where the proff had said that St. Paul was clearly a mysogenist because he had advised women to cover themselves in church. My roomate, exclaimed “the only other thing we traditionally viel in churches is the Tabernacle. The TABERNACLE! Explain to me, how is that denigrating??” Those words stuck with me. I started veiling the next day. Now, I feel weird when I don’t. I completely agree with what you said Christalyna, about renewing my sence of the sacred.

Thanks alot for this post (I’d love to hear/read more on it)

By Tesi | 3 years ago Reply
  60. Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for writing this article! I have been researching and praying about wearing one myself and have just started to wear one to adoration. Personally, I agree fully that the veil brings you closer to God and is a sign of a woman’s authentic feminity. When I decided to out my veil on for adoration a total sense of peace and humility came over me. I’m just glad to see I’m not the only one 🙂 thanks again!

By Hannah Pavalko | 3 years ago Reply
  61. We wear veils in World Mission Society Church of God and we also believe God the Mother is in Flesh…..she informs us that the veil is a sign of being under Gods authority and if we love God we do what God asks. I love my veil and I live for God… she is humble amazing and sets the perfect example that leads us to the kingdom of Heaven Godbless

By melenie Newton | 3 years ago Reply
  62. I’m also Christian…. non denominational….. no catholisism

By melenie Newton | 3 years ago Reply
  63. I really would like to start wearing a veil all the time in church. I’m still in high-school, and I attend the church that my family attends. We have been there for many years. It is a typical American catholic church, and many of the people there have the belief that Vatican II changed the teachings of the church, and anything before that is just outdated. This wasn’t a big issue before, but since acquiring a new priest several years ago, it has become a more prevalent attitude. Sometimes my family and I attend a church with extraordinary form about an hour away, where it is totally normal to wear a veil. When I attend this church I wear a veil. However, wearing a veil is something I feel personally convicted to do, and I don’t want to force it on my family, who I believe would be supportive of my choice, even if they wouldn’t regularly wear veils themselves. At the regular church I attend, I am sure I would NOT have the support of the priest. Whenever I, my family, or anyone else in the parish does or promotes something that isn’t conventional in his eyes, he tends to indirectly point it out or criticize it, implying that we are acting “holier than thou”. These instances tend to create conflict. I am afraid that if I wear a veil to mass, that it would cause considerable conflict within the parish, and involve my parents in a position where they would be heavily criticized. Is wearing a veil worth this? I will be attending college in the fall, where I will be attending a new parish regularly. Since it will be new, I will start wearing a veil regularly there. But, until then, is it worth the conflict to wear a veil in my regular church? I am sorry to ramble and include so much, and maybe I am imagining a situation way worse than it would actually be, but I just feel torn on this issue.

By youngcatholic | 3 years ago Reply
  64. Where can I buy them at I have two daughters I am raising on my own I would definitely hand on this tradition

By joaquin | 3 years ago Reply
  65. I love this post! And I really love you, Cristalina! Thank you!
    I felt the call!

By Leslie Vega | 3 years ago Reply
  66. Sorry to wake you up from reverie…but this is what muslim women also are brainwashed to do . Will you not call out to God if you fell down and hurt yoursel even though you may not be “ideally ” dressed to call out to God ? Men and women have the same dignity when it comes to covering or uncovering in a place of prayer…. YOU are psychotic self hipnotised state to do what you can easily do without going through the trouble of not veiling . You ARE a negative influence on millions of people who already give insane religious or other reasons to veil up.
    Female genital mutilation.painful breast pounding and ironing with heated rocks to stop breasts from forming and deforming women. Acid attacks and lashings for frivolous charges of not covering face or hair .you have not seen the savagery that slowly you perpetuate….. INSANE!

By nancy | 3 years ago Reply
  67. If that’s the case, don’t men need to veil themselves for the sake of the angels too? What about their need for protection by the Holy Trinity? :s

By Quinn | 3 years ago Reply
  68. No veil needed, you can be dressed in gold but God sees your heart besides
    In 1 Corinthians is written
    King James 2000 Bible
    But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

By Pilar | 3 years ago Reply
  69. Beautiful article. I have been wearing my veil for about 7 years. I had gotten very ill and my spiritual life was thrown a loop. God invited me to understand in a deep way that the Mass was the very same as the Sacrifice of the Cross. Suddenly that awareness of being there with the other women who remained with Christ gently demanded a new attitude, a new approach, and a new awareness of my unworthiness. I began to ask my angel to cover me as I approached to recieve. I always wanted to wear a veil, but thought it was wrong. After Pope Benedict permitted formally the use of the Old Mass, I researched and prayed more and felt min tied to wear the veil without any guilt. It h as been on ever since.
    However, I must add to these posts something not said…I also wear it for confession, and at home before the Crucifix in private prayer. At the moment of veiling before prayer or before receiving a Sacrament, the world is shut out and inner collection and focus on Christ and why I am about to participate in what I will is made clear. At Mass, the veil assists in focusing our eyes on the Essential.
    The veil means this: “I am not god, HE IS.”
    Women have a very powerful impact on all that goes on around them. The veil invites us to humble all our work and actions before God, not our abilities. So not only does the veil invite us to embrace authentic femininity, but it also invites us to put aside the modern view of womanhood and live according to God’s view of womanhood…..it is all about humility before the One who matters most.

By Susan | 3 years ago Reply
  70. Crystallina I have been wearing my veil for quite some time, and I too, was the only one wearing a veil at some of the Catholic Churches that I attended, but I felt that I wearing it for God and no one else. When we travel and attend other churches I wear my veil. When we were in Mexico City I was very disappointed not to many women wore veils and I could not find a shop that where selling veils. Women, ladies, girls wear your veils proudly.

By Alice jimenez | 3 years ago Reply
  71. how is this different from Muslim understanding and practice? I see it as part of the novelty for younger women to do something they are unfamiliar with, but I remember Vatican II and my mother throwing a used handkerchief over my head before that. We are united in Mass with Christ at the Head of the Church and He has purchased freedom from slavery to sin for us – we STAND in freedom. I see no problem with the humility of a veil, as long as when a woman walks into the celebration, her motives are united with the worship of the Mass, and not her own

By l klajbor | 3 years ago Reply
  72. Once a lady explained at a talk about veiling: The reason women’s bodies are considered sacred is that God choose a woman’s body to become man. So once and for all – we are different from men not biologically, but in every regard – we just need to act like it and ask for the respect we deserve……I have to think about this every time I hear somebody complaining that nobody demands that men dress modestly or wear a veil…..

By Gabriele | 3 years ago Reply
  73. Don’t think the use of the veil in church is for women only!

Monks, East and West, also cover their heads at prayer, and elsewhere.

As do the priest who wears the amice in its traditional form.

By John | 3 years ago Reply
  74. “Because of the angels” is a curious phrase to validate veil use by women at prayer. In this cinema season of “Noah” it is noteworthy up consider that the Genesis account states that the angels fell because of the attractions of women, that is to say, perhaps because in part of the universal fetishizing of woman’s hair; which brought man’s “better angels” to perdition . But veiling isn’t just the covering up of temptation. It is also the curtain over the Holies when the Presence dwells therein. When women come to the temple they become the tent of divine dwelling by their prayer and gender specific openness to life. Angels fell in jealousy when women’s heads were bared and men are drawn to her glory (a woman’s glory is her hair). She gives the glory back to God and refers men back to God’s glory when she veils.

By Izzat | 3 years ago Reply
  75. I have worn a veil for about 10 years, at first I felt strange. Now I feel naked if I forget my veil, therefore I keep an extra one in my car. I take the Eucharist to a nursing home. I always wear a veil when I am taking the Holy Eucharist to someone.

By Barbara | 3 years ago Reply
  76. I think this position is very valid, considering it from a spiritual point of view of taking conscience that we are in a special place and event. But I was also wondering if there’s something similar that men could do. I know that wearing a veil has a certain stigma (women catch attention, therefore should be covered) but I think that as much as there’s an encouragement for women to do something like this, something for men could also be considered, since it’s not a secret to everyone that men are more resilient when it comes to embrace faith.

By Tanya | 3 years ago Reply
  77. Thank you for your refreshing article. As a convert to the faith, I have been passionately Catholic since the age of 16…I will be 53 in August. I only started veiling in the last year and a half. I really didn’t understand the significance of veiling until I became active in our Eucharistic Adoration about 4 years ago. We have 24 hour Eucharistic Adoration @ St. Theresa the little flower Catholic Church in Summerville, SC. This lead to our forming the Eucharistic Knights of Jesus Christ with our patron saint St. Peter Julian Eymard. It has been a whirlwind of blessings….we are just running after Jesus and all He wishes to do. Our priest, Monsignor Lofton recently vested over 50 members into the Angelic Warfare Confraternity which is an Apostolate dedicated to Chastity. Not all of the Eucharistic Knights veil as there is no pressure, but many of us do. It is a beautiful practice and has made me more aware of God’s presence which has enriched my worship and prayer life. I would have never believed that such a small practice would bless me so. Thank you for your witness.

By Faith | 3 years ago Reply
  78. Mrs.Evert,

Your words on chastity and purity have made a huge impact on my life. Recently, I have been looking in at wearing a hijab. Many make the misconception that the hijab is only related to the Muslim faith. The hijab actually existed before Islam, Catholicism, and Judaism. It is not a sign of oppression, but a sign of your commitment to god and a sign of modesty and purity. Muslim women are not forced (though some may be but not all) to wear the hijab, they choose freely to wear the hijab and to show others their commitment and love of god. As a young catholic I have always been in awe of the veil and the hijab, I am giving much thought of wearing the hijab for religious and personal reason. Religious because I want show my commitment to god and personal because I wish to refrain myself and allow myself to be unveiled by my husband at the altar. Basically I want to save myself for god and my future husband. This article has helped me to further on with wearing the hijab. So thank you Mrs.Evert, and may god bless you

By Ameyalli Chavez | 3 years ago Reply
  79. Thank you for this beautiful blog. I remembered your trip in the Philippines last year. I saw you wearing a veil during the mass. It was truly a breath of fresh air. Wearing veils inside the church is a declining practice. I hope I would have the courage also to wear a veil inside the church.

By Anna Penaranda | 3 years ago Reply
  80. I love this article and it inspired me to write one too! I think it is so great that you have started wearing a veil and I hope that through you many young women choose to wear one as well! My boyfriend and I are huge admirers of you and your husband. We started a Facebook page together. I do all the graphics and my boyfriend James and I take turns writing. Here is the link, we call it The Chase: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Chase/262977170551979?fref=ts
    I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what you think. I really look up to you. I just posted an article today about veiling.

By Lillian | 3 years ago Reply
  81. Thank you so much for this wonderful story Crystalina… I’ve been a big fan of you and Jason for a long time. 🙂 May God bless you more on your apostolate. |Ave Maria! with much love from the Philippines -Jericho

By Jericho | 3 years ago Reply
  82. Thank you for your beautiful article. I’ve just recently returned to the church and a friend helped me to sew a veil using some lace I bought in Mexico. I remember when I was small my mother took us to church and all the ladies wore veils. As a returning Catholic I assumed everyone still did were them. So when I walked in proudly wearing my veil I was surprised the majority of the ladies didn’t cover their heads during their time in the mass or at adoration. I was confused but when I saw the ladies that did wear them I just assumed it was a personal choice now on whether or not to wear them. To me personally entering a sacred space such as the house of God wearing a veil is a sign of respect to the Lord in whose presence I am in, whether I’m there for mass, prayer or just some quiet time. Thank you so much again for this wonderful article.

By Iselda Arce | 3 years ago Reply
  83. Beautiful article, thank you! You bring up some very good points!

By Robin | 3 years ago Reply
  84. Where did you read the quote from the 1960s, “remove your badges of slavery to men and get rid of your veil?” I would really like to track that down. Instead, everybody is quoting your column (some of them without attribution!!!), and I can’t track down the original quote. If you remember where you read it, or have an idea where you read it, please let me know! Thanks!

By Ardella Crawford | 3 years ago Reply
  85. Hi! The truth is that I have been discerning to wear a veil since I read this article.But I want to be sure I am called to it because I think somehow is a priviledge and a commitment. Not that I am afraid of it… Just that I want to know what I am doing and why am I doing it. 🙂 You say there is a theology about it. I would like to read more of the veil so I could understand the meaning and the use of it. Would you send me some book references so I could look it up? Thank you so much for sharing your story Crystalina. You and Jason are really inspiring, not only to me… But also to my future husband. We will keep you in our prayers, please pray for us as well! God Bless you!

By Geily Diaz | 3 years ago Reply
  86. Crystalina, while I appreciate that your decision to wear a veil is more thought out than many I have heard, I am troubled that much of your reasoning is merely your own conjecture and feelings, has inconsistencies, and that you fail to mention what is the original and probably best reason for wearing a veil: the analogy it is meant to portray of Christ as the head of his Bride, the Church, and to symbolize a woman’s submission to her husband as her head (or simply to man in general).

These latter reasons are thoroughly explained in parts 1 and 6 and in the conclusion of this article: http://www.traditioninaction.org/religious/d006rpVeil_2_Goodman.htm.

Although the above essay discusses St. John Chrysostom’s views on the veil, I found it more helpful to read directly his homily on the matter, especially because the author of the essay does not as heavily mention St. John’s support for the analogy of submission:

The one authority to whom you appeal in your post here is Alice von Hildrebrand, and the quote you cited is lacking in solid reasoning. If what is sacred is to be veiled (which is true as seen in taking care of the holy things at church), and we thus decide to veil a woman’s head, it follows that a man’s head should also be veiled. Someone as steeped in Theology of the Body as you are should be aware that both woman and man are sacred, right? So does your husband wear a veil? Or is he not sacred?

It appears the feminists understood the meaning of the veil better than von Hildebrand did! Granted, they equated submission to “slavery,” and that is a misunderstanding (although a reasonably one considering the Church Fathers’ strong language on the subject), but it is at least much closer than saying this veil is somehow about woman being particularly sacred.

Moreover, the very last quote you give borders on heresy:

No one should ever be at Mass or Divine Liturgy hidden from everyone. While it is honorable to desire to not stand out, liturgy is necessarily communal. It is never about merely one person drawing closer to the Lord on their own but drawing closer to and within a community. Liturgy demands that I be seen by the community and that I see them, despite how distracting or annoying or whatever else they may seem to me at times.

I am by no means an advocate that every woman wear a veil in church. I think the choice must be carefully discerned–especially if it is not the common practice at one’s church–including asking the question of whether or not it will be a cause of pride for the wearer or a major distraction for her for those around her. But I think in the proper cultural circumstances where the symbolism has the possibility of being correctly understood, the veil is a beautiful analogy and addition to a woman’s attire.

Unfortunately, many will miss that analogy–one that took maybe 30 to 60 minutes of my time to find and understand via the Internet–not just because our modern culture has trouble with the concept of submission but due to the Catholic world’s (not just yours) desire to publish personal conjectures and feelings about the practice without including a solid examination of Scripture and tradition. It might be helpful for you to re-discern your devotion in light of what it actually means and not just what it feels like to you and a few others.

By Brittany | 3 years ago Reply
  87. I remember wearing a veil when my family went to latin masses now and the when I was a preteen. I hated them at first, then kinda grew used to it. For a while, I remember feeling a little bit more humbled, as well as a bit more secure as a girl. There was something about hearing my dad explain that men *could not* wear hats during mass, as if having the veil were a privelage and blessing, that made me appreciate being one, and at that age, I didnt appreciate it very often. I even wore my veil a few times at the regular mass (with some coaxing from more traditional friends.) I wish I’d kept it up. I wish I had the courage to do this now.

By H.N. | 3 years ago Reply
  88. Hi, Crystalina! I think that you are a beautiful woman both inside and out! Be encouraged that your life experiences and your victory over the enemy is changing lives. I do have a question. How can I ask you or Jason a chastity question for your Q & A section? I do not have Facebook or other social media. :/

By Michelle | 3 years ago Reply
  89. Wearing a veil is ok if it matches the rest of the dress. Lately I have seen veils on women who are in jeans and sweatshirts, or capri and sleeveless tops.. It is not attractive at all. Does wearing a veil indicate that one is holier? that one has a vertical relationship with God and does not see the presence of God in other who are there to worship? Just wondering what the veil is about….

By ginny heldorfer | 3 years ago Reply
  90. Love this!! Thank you for posting this again!

By Kerry | 3 years ago Reply
  91. Christina, thank you so much for sharing your story about veiling. I toyed with veiling for many years to show reverence toward the Lord in His presence. I kept buying veils but could not bring myself to wear one but once in a while and all this time I was praying to the Lord and the Blessed Mother about it. I was in New Orleans and was very happy to be able to go to Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos’ Shrine. After praying before his relics, I knelt before an icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help and asked the Blessed Mother if I should wear a veil or not. At that very instant I felt naked, ashamed and undressed, I almost ran from the church but I was there for Mass. I knew instantly that I needed to wear a veil to cover my nakedness, I also understood that all women are not dressed appropriately if they are not veiled. As soon as I started veiling after this event, I felt as if I was in mourning throughout the Mass for the sacrifice that the Lord had given for us. It helps me focus on the Mass and keeps me from a lot of distraction. I recommend it highly.

By Diane Gaudin | 3 years ago Reply
  92. I recently started veiling, again. I say that because I am now in my 60’s. I HAD to either wear a hat or some type of head covering to mass while growing up. When I was in high school we were told we no longer needed them. I used to grudgingly wear the small chapel cap. I was elated when I found I didn’t have to wear anything on my head for mass. I have friends who have started wearing veils for the first time in their lives and I fought it telling them that I didn’t need a veil to prove my reverence. I was in a thrift store one day and lo and behold there was a vintage veil for sale. It was black and had a very pretty trim on it. I bought it. I took me a few weeks before I decided to finally wear it to mass. I purchased another one that is a little fancier and I wear that for special feast days. I know that it was pride that was keeping me from wearing one and I’m hoping that one day it will feel like second nature to put one on for our Lord. Thank you for your very insightful article. I learned a couple of things that were never taught me as a child. God Bless.

By Deborah | 3 years ago Reply
  93. Many (even a large majority in Muslim countries) Muslim women also wear “veils” for exactly the same reasons as expressed by the writer.

By Richard | 3 years ago Reply
  94. When I first started veiling, over two years ago, I was scared to death and would only wear it every other Sunday. I was the only person in Mass wearing one and I was 16. As the years have rolled on my mom has started to veil and there are several women and young girls who have begun to wear their chapel veils. I love the tradition but I liked how you talked about praying and discerning to wear it, so many people who start think it can be something that everyone should just pick up but I think the discernment keeps it from being something that everyone does. It gives you the freedom to choose to wear for the right reason, in the end for God. Your post is beautiful! Thank you!

By Veronica | 3 years ago Reply
  95. This article was very nice and much needed. Im a college student and i go to church where people wear mostly everyday clothes to church. I have been praying about the vail for a half a year since I read the passage in 1 Corinthians about head coverings. I just got my vail but have to nervous to wear it at church with everyone so causal and mostly all college students. Now I can’t wait to wear my vail at church. Thank you this article was very helpful.

By Lauren Clark | 3 years ago Reply
  96. If people want to wear hats, then by all means wear hats. In then end though, wearing religious headgear is more about socialization than anything else.

By Evan | 3 years ago Reply
  97. I love it because it is simple and to the point

By Carmen A | 3 years ago Reply
  98. I have studied the veiling habits of other religions and chose to start by wearing hats to mass. Now I wear a veil on my head and think that when summer hat-weather comes I’ll wear a hat and used a veil as my prayer shawl. I am constantly commented on by women in a complimentary way and I invite them to join me–but I’m still solo with the veil. No–I’m with God. The veil is my tent of the tabernacle of the presence of God and where I go to meet Him alone. I’m self-conscience because I am the only one, but that really is a special gift from the Lord to me. Maybe eventually more of us will join together.

By Barbara Sylvain | 3 years ago Reply
  99. Could you please post my website? I have been making veils for a few years and I recently lowered all my prices to make them more affordable because to me this is a ministry. Thank you.

By karen | 3 years ago Reply
  100. I only wish i could afford one

By Claire Clai | 3 years ago Reply
  101. love this article so much and it inspires me the more to wear a veil when attending mass or entering the church.

By Venus Avenido | 3 years ago Reply
  102. Hi Crystalina! Just wanna share something my girlfriend and I had about veiling. When we started dating and going steady, I always brought (bring) her to the Traditional Latin Mass (I’m a regular mass-goer even before we met). One time before Mass, I gave her a Mantilla belonging to my grandmother, and explained that I want her to practice wearing the veil so that when we both face God when we get married she won’t feel awkward. She told me that was the sweetest thing she heard and kissed me in the cheek. She’s been using the veil whenever she gets the chance. It’s in her purse and she pulls it out when visiting a church she covers her head.

Thanks for the article I showed this to her. God bless you!

By Paolo | 3 years ago Reply