Why Prince Charming is a lie, but real men aren’t!

I LOVE the song ‘Lead Me’ by Sanctus Real, but I can’t listen to it without getting emotional. My friend and I cried to each other over the phone when we first heard it.

Why?

Because it hits a sore spot. It hits that wound in all of our hearts that bleeds the phrase “how come there are no real men anymore?!” Most of us have heard it asked. Nearly as many of us have asked it ourselves. But the reason we don’t see them isn’t that they don’t exist, it’s that we tell them they can’t.

God created us for union and communion with each other. His unmatchable creativity is such that he designed us to fit together. Our lives are the most fruitful and we feel the most fulfilled when we’re exercising that complementarity. We need men in our lives—not just husbands, but fathers, brothers, friends—and they need us. We unlock an extra level of potential in each other.

Sometimes as women we put far too much pressure on men to become the ideal we think we need. We’re often guilty of underestimating just how difficult a job they have! Supporting us and leading us takes an immense amount of strength. But that strength comes from God alone, and must be continually renewed through prayer and abandonment to Him.

Disney has taught us to expect perfection and settle for nothing less. But Prince Charming is a lie. No wonder the divorce rate is rising so rapidly: we’re in for a serious shock if we marry with the false belief that the men who swept us off our feet and carried us to the altar in their strong arms will retain that guise of perfection for long.

No man is flawless (neither are we!), and expecting them to solve all our problems will only end in more heartache. Christ called us to love one another as He loves us. That means that the most fruitful relationships will be built on grace and mercy rather than pressure and judgement. We’re called to love each other including our flaws, because without that merciful love no relationship can survive.

Disney’s version of “Mr Right” may be far-fetched and idealistic, but deep down we do have a natural longing to be supported and guided by a strong man—spiritually, physically and emotionally… and that’s no coincidence! What we long for is actually the root of what men were intended to be, we just don’t realise it. We want them to be strong and gentle and decisive and loving all at the same time… and they can be! But to benefit from that, we have to allow them to develop those strengths. To have a “real man,” we have to allow him to be a real man.

Culture insists on mourning the loss of ‘real men’, but perhaps it’s simply the definition used that needs challenging. A real man isn’t one who works out twice a day, earns a six figure salary and buys extravagant presents with money he won’t miss.

One who will discerningly make sacrifices for the greater good of your family.

One who seeks guidance from his heavenly Father instead of relying on his own strength.

One who’d rather walk you to Heaven than drive you around in his Porsche.

One who looks at your heart before your physique.

One who prays for you, not just pays for you.

One who strives to protect your purity not conquer it.

One who loves you as Christ loves His Church.

… and these REAL MEN EXIST!

______________________________

Esther Rich 2Esther Rich has a bachelor degree in Psychology from Oxford University, UK, and is currently completing the Sion Community Foundation Year, working on their youth ministry team. She loves Theology of the Body, Papa Francesco and a good worship band. She is passionate about empowering women to be who they were created to be, and blogs at “For Such A Time As This.”

1. Thank you for writing such a beautiful post. I often have tried to communicate my wish to see more men be real men and this blog really helped to solidify my thoughts! Awesome job!

By Hannah Pavalko | 2 years ago Reply
  2. this was awesome! 🙂 i do love the song lead me by sanctus real. I often cry whenever I listen to it. This gives me hope that there are men out there, who have the qualities that you’ve described and whom I long to share companionship with someday.

By anon | 2 years ago Reply
  3. Was that beautiful. Thank you.

By Jarrett Lindsey | 2 years ago Reply
  4. I read this at the bottom:

“A “real man” is one who will lead you with strong hands even when that means humbly admitting his mistakes.

One who will discerningly make sacrifices for the greater good of your family.

One who’d rather walk you to Heaven than drive you around in his Porsche.

One who looks at your heart before your physique.

One who prays for you, not just pays for you.

One who strives to protect your purity not conquer it.

One who loves you as Christ loves His Church.

… and these REAL MEN EXIST!”

I almost started crying. After meeting so many guys for over 20 years that were a few of these things, or none of these things, you just described my boyfriend now, who is human, and exists, imperfect but knows his worth in the eyes of God, and strives to be better daily.

Thank you for inspiring women to never settle and look to God to send them a man worthy of their love.

By C | 2 years ago Reply
  5. I read this at the bottom:

One who will discerningly make sacrifices for the greater good of your family.

One who’d rather walk you to Heaven than drive you around in his Porsche.

One who looks at your heart before your physique.

One who prays for you, not just pays for you.

One who strives to protect your purity not conquer it.

One who loves you as Christ loves His Church.

… and these REAL MEN EXIST!”

By Cristina | 2 years ago Reply
  6. I read this at the bottom:

One who will discerningly make sacrifices for the greater good of your family.

One who’d rather walk you to Heaven than drive you around in his Porsche.

One who looks at your heart before your physique.

One who prays for you, not just pays for you.

One who strives to protect your purity not conquer it.

One who loves you as Christ loves His Church.

… and these REAL MEN EXIST!”

I almost started crying. After meeting so many guys for over 20 years that were a few of these things, or none of these things, you just described my boyfriend now, who is human, and exists, imperfect yet wonderful, and knows his worth in the eyes of God, and strives to be better daily.

By Cristina | 2 years ago Reply
  7. Thank you Esther! BEAUTIFUL and exactly what my college roommate and I needed to read right now! Thanks for the hope and the guide to a correct frame of mind =)

By Jenn | 2 years ago Reply
  8. Thanks Esther for this lovely article. Its so true that real men do exist!!!. God bless you in your ministry.

By Brian | 2 years ago Reply
  9. Great article! I am also moved by the Sanctus Real song and have always felt that women who want to prove they can “do it all”, lose out on letting their husbands prove their worth to them. Thank you for the article!

By Melissa | 2 years ago Reply
  10. I think this is the kind of encouragement that many guys need too… The voice of the world speaks much louder than such voices, and there’s a big difference between a man by God’s standard and a man by the world’s standard

By GR | 2 years ago Reply
  11. Thank you so much for the beautiful message! Sometimes we forget what a real men should be and we go along according to the fairy tale of prince charming. This convince me not to lower my standards when dating, I should keep praying to find a man that has God in his center of life. Both of us grow together in prayer, chastity, love, and help God guide our relationship and life.

By Ofelia | 2 years ago Reply