Modest: Not Hottest, but oh-so Beautiful

Being modest is hard. Speaking as a nineteen-year-old Catholic woman who loves fashion, I will tell you first hand that modesty is not easy. You know why? Because skin is in. The media is saturated in images of girls in crop tops and barely there pants. Less and less is being left to the imagination and my generation is being coerced into accepting this sick image of what womanhood and beauty are. Even the term modesty is becoming sexualized. I have heard the phrase “modest is hottest” more times than I can count. It is supposed to be an encouragement to girls to dress modestly because it is “hotter”. Is this the message that we really want to portray? Should women dress modestly because it will make them “hot”? Well I say no way, Jose. Being hot is not a compliment. Food can be hot, Arizona in the summertime can be hot, a heater can be hot… there are many other things that we can rightly call “hot” but I do not believe that people should be one of them. We deserve more than that. The fullness of human beauty is not at all touched by this objectifying phrase. Modesty is more than a fashion statement; It’s a life statement. I think that modesty, now more than ever, is a conscious choice to be who we were created to be. It is the choice to present ourselves as daughters of the king rather than objects. In his first letter to the Corinthians Paul says “You must know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is within-the spirit you have received from God. You are not your own. You have been purchased at a price. So glorify God in your body.”-1Corinthians 6:19-20 The price that we have been purchased at is the death of Christ. Through His death we have been charged with His glory. We are to glorify Him not only in our hearts and souls but also in our bodies. How do we do this? We do it by taking proper care of our bodies and realizing that they are the place where God’s own spirit dwells. We dress modestly not because we are ashamed of our bodies. We dress modestly because we know the great beauty that we carry within us… We dress modestly because we know that we are worth so much more than the shallow attention we will get for doing otherwise. You are so beautiful and so worth every bit of real love that this world has to give. Don’t settle for a lesser love. Don’t settle for the weak, lustful reactions that come with dressing immodestly. You are a temple of Our Lord.  I encourage you to dress modestly because you deserve it. You deserve to be recognized for the depth of your soul not the depth of your neckline. Modesty does not inhibit beauty, it allows it to shine even more brightly. I’ll be praying for you as you embrace this opportunity to become the daughters of the King that you were made to be. God loves you so much and so do I. 1 Corinthians 13 ___________________________

1409596130412 (1) Rebekah Hardy lives in New Jersey and is a sophomore at Mount St. Mary’s University in Emmitsburg, Maryland where she majors in Theology and minors in English. She enjoys playing sports, praying the Rosary, and drinking iced coffee. Her blog can be found atcatholiclifesite.wordpress.com and her twitter handle is @bekahhardy7.

1. Fantastic!! Loved reading this and will be sure to pass it on to some friends!!

By Zachary Burt | 2 years ago Reply
  2. I wish more people could appreciate true beauty again. When a girl dresses modestly, it conveys to me, as a man, that she understands the battles that I go through, and wants to lead me to holiness. Modesty is so beautiful, and attractive. Thanks for the post! 🙂

By Nathan | 2 years ago Reply
  3. Love your story and so true! God bless you !!! Modesty is the only way:)

By Chrissy Faller | 2 years ago Reply
  4. Love your story and so true! God bless you !!! Modesty is the only way:)

By Chrissy Faller | 2 years ago Reply
  5. I must say, as a 23 year-old guy who loves women, I do see them more beautifull when they are correctly dressed. I am currectly dating for two years now (since yesterday) a beautifull girl. Nothing could harm me more (apart from infidelity) than to see her wearing less modest clothes, Since I know her she has always being really cautious. I have never seen her showing cleavage, and indeed she could! Its not like she wears nun-like clothes or anything, she goes along with the style of today’s casual 22’s (I do wish she wore skirts from time to time 😀 but thats maybe just me trying to spoil her beauty).
    Message to all girls out there: Modesty does pay off! Real men and real christians will notice! We don’t want our women to be like the vast majority, driven by depravation of God’s best physical gift to humanity: women’s beauty. I’ve talked only about my gf but many of her friends are also quite modest! Cheers from Spain!
    PD: I wish I can encourage girls to feel like God’s daughters, not 21st century’s random and ugly females.

By Antonio S-J | 2 years ago Reply
  6. Rebekah!! This is a great article. More women need to be encouraged by this. Beautiful :).

By Jonathan | 2 years ago Reply
  7. So if we were to describe somones physical appearance, what words would be helpful to use instead?

By Jess | 2 years ago Reply
    • Pretty. Beautiful. Classy. Charming. Feminine. Natural beauty. Sweet.

By Catherine | 2 years ago Reply
  8. Thanks that is what I needed to hear

By greendrog | 2 years ago Reply
  9. thanks for encouraging authentic beauty, which is what lasts here and thereafter.

By marielle | 2 years ago Reply
  10. Thank you for this, Rebekah…

By Merry Gene | 2 years ago Reply
  11. Fantastic article! It takes courage to be modest. But let’s be honest. It takes courage to be different in anything. Modesty will preserve a person from so much hurt and help them to discover true love: the love they deserve and the love they long for.

By Patrick Cahill | 2 years ago Reply
  12. Thank you!

By Samanta | 2 years ago Reply
  13. My husband of almost 39 years read your article to me. It was so encouraging to know that there are young people out there who want to reserve their bodies for their future husbands. When I was a teenager, it was the mini-skirt age. It was almost impossible to find modest clothes. My wise and generous parents bought me and my sisters sewing machines and my mother taught us how to sew! I think of the song, “I’m a Child of the King”. You’re right. It does take courage to to be different, but the benefits are worth it. God be with you.

By Carol | 2 years ago Reply
  14. Rebekah – I am a mother of 5 girls (one who shared your post on facebook) and I just want to applaud you for your words so beautifully spoken. As a mother I can say those things everyday and not be heard but when a peer is strong enough to stand up to this crazy image that our society is saying is “so hot” I do believe more will listen. Thank you for sharing your views and God bless you!!!

By Cathy Sherman | 2 years ago Reply