To be Pro-Life, be Pro-Love

On January 22, hundreds of thousands of people will join together in Washington DC for the annual March for Life. January 22 is the anniversary of the Supreme Court decision Roe v. Wade, which legalized abortion in America—effectively ending the fundamental right to life in the land of the free. Since 1973, over 56 million American children have died in the womb due to the tragedy of abortion.

The March for Life in the country’s Capitol is one thing that we can all do to witness to the value of life, but I think it’s a mistake to think that the primary road to ending abortion is to wait for the government to overturn the legislation. That strategy requires waiting and patience—on government branches, no less.

Thankfully, we don’t need to wait on the government in order to build a culture of life. In his encyclical, Evangelium Vitae, Pope St. John Paul II refers to abortion and all life issues as a battle with the “Culture of Death.” What is a culture? It’s the very way of life of the people. Everything from the way that we dress, the music we listen to, the food that we eat, the way that we talk, and our core values and religion as people, makes up our culture. When John Paul II refers to a “Culture of Death,” he is saying that our civilization’s way of life builds to legalized abortion—it builds towards death. Or in other words, just as true love is life-giving, lust eventually leads to death (either physical or spiritual, or both).

Think about it. What are “pro-choice” advocates protecting when they advocate for abortion rights? They say that they want choices available for women and that the government shouldn’t have the ability to dictate to a woman what she can and can’t do with her body. But abortion isn’t about what a woman can and can’t do with her body. It’s about unjustly taking the life of another person. What the pro-choice movement refuses to recognize is that the argument for abortion rights isn’t about a woman’s right to her own body. It’s about protecting a woman’s “right” to her way of life and valuing that “right” over the fundamental right to life.

The reason why we have abortion in our country is because our culture wishes to give people the “right” to SEX WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES. Our culture values this “right” above all other rights.

The way of life of the people in our country dictates that abortion must be an available option for all people because we don’t want to accept the responsibilities that inherently come with having sex. The number one reason for unwanted pregnancy in America is due to failure in contraception. This means that two people engaged in sexual activity and attempted to use contraception as a way to “protect” themselves from having the responsibility of accepting new life into their relationship. When contraception fails, abortion becomes the “safety net” to prevent the two people from accepting the responsibility for their actions. The way of life of our country inherently leads to a “Culture of Death” because our way of life requires that death be an option so that we can live as we wish.

So how can you build up a Culture of Life”? The nature of sex demands authentic responsibility. It’s not just the responsibility to accept new life if it is created, but also to love the person that you are with in a lifelong commitment of love. Sex requires maturity and responsibility. When you wait until marriage to have sex, you are waiting until you are ready to accept the responsibilities that sex requires of you. In this way, you change your way of life and you become one person working to change the culture.

The best way that you can build up a Culture of Life is to live chastity in your life.

_______________________

Everett-Fritz-headshot3-840x1024Everett Fritz works in Catholic Youth Ministry and enjoys speaking on the topics of chastity, discipleship, and youth evangelization. He is the Content Development and Promotion Lead for YDisciple at the Augustine Institute where he also holds an MA in Theology. Everett resides in Denver with his wife Katrina and their three children. You can connect with him through Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/catholiceverettfritz or Twitter: @everettfritz and http://everettfritz.com/

1. Some pro-choice people are getting really angry at pro-lifers lately. Apparently one of the “feminist” websites has decided that if men got pregnant instead of women, abortion would always be legal and would be accepted by everyone. They seem to believe it’s about controlling women and making sure they can’t get a good career rather than protecting the unborn.

By Stephanie | 2 years ago Reply
  2. But some girls are raped and they get pregnant that way too. I know abortion is bad but not every abortion is sex without consequences

By Fine | 2 years ago Reply
    • In America, 99% of abortions are not rape related. Regardless, life is still life. While rape is horrible and women need good options, especially in these circumstances, we must never be so quick to dismiss a life as not worth saving. My wife was conceived in an act of rape. Her mother chose life and put her up for adoption. I would not have my 3 children if it were not for her mother’s heroic choice to value life.

By Everett | 2 years ago Reply
  3. It’s just…sad. I mean before I started living a chaste life I didn’t understand how valuable a life is. Hope my country (Ecuador) someday understands, even though it’s not quite “legal” here I think we’re on the brink of letting thngs go with the flow in order to have less responsabilities. I’ve heard stories about abortion and it’s just…sad.

By Cari | 2 years ago Reply
  4. I know many that live in this way of culture. Great great article. What should I do for them?

By Ana | 2 years ago Reply
  5. I am 20 years old. I am a server and LMT. I was molested by two men and because of that became pregnant. The easiest thing to do would have been to secretly have an abortion and call it good. Right? Wrong. Not only can abortion cause me to become infertile (due to harsh extraction methods) but it also could damage me emotionally. So my next and seemingly only option was to keep the baby and raise them myself. And for a girl with a pay rate of about $10 per hour, that was intimadating. After confiding in my parents and lots of research. I found my answer. Adoption. This may just be something you read and think nothong of. But think about it this way… A girl who has no clue who the father is and was forced into this situation has chosen LIFE. Why can’t you and the women in your life? Life is a gift and a blessing. No matter how it happens. The last thing I will say is “my 9 months of sacrifice and pain will be some one’s 75+years of life and ability to love” thanks for reading.
    God Bless.

By Clare | 2 years ago Reply
    • The reason not everyone can make your decision, is that everyone is different. Your life is unique. It is not someone else’s path, yours alone.

By Louise | 2 years ago Reply
  6. And I suppose you would all be in favour of forced blood donation too? Abortion is actually extremely safe. Pregnancy is relatively safe but there is more risk to a woman from pregnancy than an abortion. Stop trying to impose your choices on others.

By Jane | 2 years ago Reply
    • You have a right to medical decisions for your body. It is when you make decisions for another person’s body – especially in regards to the life and death of another individual, that prejudice and oppression take place. The science of embryology is indisputable – human life does not begin at birth. Life begins at conception – it is a scientific fact. Every abortion is the act of one person (mother) oppressing the rights of another (baby’s fundamental right to life). The reason that I oppose abortion is because it is a matter of justice. Every life has equal value – it is wrong to say that one is valued more than another. The safety of abortion is irrelevant. The idea that women have a right to make decisions for their own bodies is irrelevant. When an abortion takes place, an individual is making a decision that affects someone else’s fundamental right – and that’s what makes it a grave evil and injustice.

By Everett | 2 years ago Reply
  7. Thank you for writing this and shedding light on such an important topic. I have always dreamed of being a mother one day- I love children, which is why I became a teacher, longing for the day I’d have my own children. As a young woman who recently received news of my body’s infertility, the issue of abortion has been on my mind and heart quite a lot. I know I can’t make a decision for another woman, but I will say that it breaks my heart that innocent lives are being terminated when there are women like me around the world who would love nothing more than to have and nurture and love that child. Knowing that I must adopt in order to have a child makes me so thankful for the women who could choose abortion but instead opt for life and adoption, giving their child and women like me the chance to live and love together. God bless.

By Melissa | 2 years ago Reply