Male and Female He Created Them

Nowadays, it seems as if there’s more confusion than ever as to what it means to be made male and female. Our creation as such, and the call of the two to become “one flesh” is not merely a metaphor for Christ’s relationship to us. As St. John Paul II affirmed, it’s the foundational way in which that eternal mystery of love becomes “visible” to us (see TOB 19:4, 95b:6). As Pope Francis observes, at “the very heart of the Gospel is life in community” (EG 177), and the fundamental human community is that of man and woman in “one flesh.”

Perhaps this is why sexuality, marriage, and the family are under such violent attack today. Perhaps behind it all there is an enemy who wants to keep us from understanding and entering into “the very heart of the Gospel.” Perhaps there is an enemy aiming all his arrows at the very foundation of human life, of the Church, and of civilization itself.

Social re-engineers do not like this fact, but when we let the data speak, it’s clear: civilization rests on the family—that is, on the committed union of a man and a woman and their naturally resulting offspring. But family life of this kind is only possible to the extent that we undertake the often difficult project of civilizing our sexual desires, orienting them toward upholding the dignity of the human person, the truth of selfless love, and the grandeur of procreation.

When the indulgence of sexual desire becomes an end in itself, society becomes utilitarian. You are valued if you are useful. And, in this case, you are “useful” if you are sexually stimulating. If you are not, or if you get in the way of my pleasure, you will be ignored, discarded, maybe even exterminated. When pleasure is the main goal of sex, people become the means and babies become the obstacle. So we take our pleasure and we kill our offspring—and anything that gets in the way of my “right” to indulge libido (however I desire and without consequence or responsibility) is anathema.

This is not some dire prediction of an apocalyptic future. This is the world we live in now. Without a return to our senses, only societal chaos and collapse can result. But if a selfish “me” approach to sex spells societal breakdown, selfless sexuality (borrowing an acronym from Father Stan Fortuna) spells F.A.M.I.L.Y.—Forget About Me, I Love You.

Two thousand years ago, the first evangelization transformed civilization by showing the world an alternative to self-centered sexuality and the infanticide and cultural breakdown that inevitably results. By following Christ’s example of selfless love—“Husbands, love your wives as Christ loved the Church” (Eph 5:25)—early Christians transformed the world by witnessing to the true meaning of sexuality, marriage, and family. We can and must do the same in the new evangelization.

____________________________

CWest1Christopher West’s new, best-selling eBook, Pope Francis To Go: Bite-Sized Morsels from The Joy of the Gospel, is now available through PopeFrancisToGo.com. Christopher is known throughout the world for his work popularizing the theology of St. John Paul II. He is founder and president of The Cor Project. He will also be leading a Footsteps of St. John Paul II pilgrimage of Poland Aug. 20-29. Details can be found here, or one can register by calling 800-842-4842.

1. So good!! thank you for writing this! it makes so much sense!

By Rachel D | 2 years ago Reply
  2. This is a time for Spiritual Warfare… St. Michael the Archangel protect us against all evil. Amen.

By Leonard Palazzolo | 2 years ago Reply
  3. i like Foget Albout Me I Love You…FAMILY

By Eudy | 2 years ago Reply
  4. Jesus said “Love one another” He did not add a list of exceptions.
    There are bigger threats to civilization than homosexuals and transgendered. They are just people, created buy God, (as he meant them to be) trying to live their lives in love and peace.
    How about focusing on the real problems like starvation, terrorism and the like and leave peaceful people to live their lives.

By Heather Moore | 2 years ago Reply
    • Your comment sounds good Heather but I can’t buy into it unless you first explain what you mean by “love” ?

By David McHugh | 2 years ago Reply
    • Heather, true Jesus did not add exceptions, but he did add details as to what he meant “Love one another as I have loved you,” “If you love me, you WILL keep my commandments,” “You are my friends if you KEEP my commandments,” and “Not all those who say to me ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter The Kingdom of God, but only those who DO The Will of My Father.”

When it comes to love, Jesus said, “Anyone who even so much looks at a woman lustfully has committed adultery with her in his heart.” (Matthew 5:28) St. Paul takes this even a step further by saying they will not enter The Kingdom of God ( 1 Corinthians 6:9)

If we love someone, we call them to a higher standard of living. This is not judging them. I will give you an example, I work nights at a gas station. My family members, friends, and co-workers who love me tell me that the job I have is beneath me and that I could easily find something better. My coworkers and customers who are constantly asking to borrow money from me don’t want me to find a better job. They don’t really love me. Instead, they know that if I leave, their piggy-bank goes bye-bye.

My question with homosexuals and transgenders is are they really at peace? After all, people with homosexual tendencies are 5 times more likely to commit suicide than people who do not have these tendencies. My cousin who is an outspoken lesbian has been in and out of mental hospitals because she can’t deal with the stress she goes through in her same-sex relationships. One of my former lesbian co-workers has been homeless and in jail multiple times because of the fights she has had with her girlfriends.

Are starvation, terrorism, and the like all bad things? YES! But those problems are on a much larger scale. Sir Thomas Browne was the first to say, “Charity begins at home.” If we can make sure there is first charity in our families, then we can move on to the larger scale problems in the world.

By Andy | 2 years ago Reply
      • Maybe gays and lesbians are 5 times more likely to commit suicide because people tell them they are sinners and they are going to hell. Just a thought.

By Jane | 2 years ago Reply
        • Most probably true. Natural law, as our faith teaches, tells us that homosexual acts are mortal sin, and it is beyond our imagination how strong homosexual tendencies are and thus how inclined they are to mortal sin. But this incredible tendencies do not excuse the homosexuals to do them. Besides, they are not the only ones that have those strong tendencies. There are people who easily feel strong anger, enough to make them do wild destructive deeds. There are also people who have psychiatric disease, making them tend to kill people and even desire it. These people also tend to do mortal sins. But what is their difference from homosexual acts? The graveness of the sin of the latter is less obvious than the former (of course, killing and destroying in a way are graver than homosexual act, but they are still mortal sins).

By james | 2 years ago Reply
        • And those people are wrong to say that.

“The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.” (CCC2358)

We have to remember Westboro IS NOT the Church and may have bad teachings – tbh you’ll hear stuff like that from some Catholics too because they were not catechized right….

***A Small PSA*** “objectively disordered” just pertains to not following biological purpose. People who wear glasses have a vision that is “objectively disordered” – doesn’t mean they are bad people – but we can say that their vision is disordered. Someone who has same-sex attraction has a not-ordered to biological intent sexual attraction – doesn’t make them a bad person.

**Also** To love someone is to desire their good. “loving” someone doesn’t mean letting them go on thinking doing something they enjoy even if it is unhealthy for them. For alcoholics, gambling addicts, and the like – this type of “love” is actually enabling unhealthy behavior.

So, we cannot judge people – because only God can know their hearts, BUT we can judge actions as disordered and ultimately unhealthy. If you see someone drinking a beer and she has a swollen belly – we can say “pregnant women shouldn’t drink it is not healthy for the baby” – but we cannot pass judgment that she is a bad mom… we don’t know… she could just be having a bloated day….

By Jarred | 2 years ago Reply
    • There isn’t a civilization without the family. Anyways, this argument is foolish, why would you discourage anyone from trying to help society? Just because you don’t think their efforts or cause is as valid or important, that doesn’t mean it’s not worth doing.

By Sean | 2 years ago Reply
  5. “Hitler lost the war but won the battle”.
    Adolf Hitler thought some people only matter if they are of a certain criterion that he determined, and if not, they are to be discarded. Even then those that ‘matched’ were just utilitarian.

We are doing the same thing now. The ‘Darwinian’ reason for sex is…. ? And we are propagandizing folks into thinking it does not matter. I pray for all those who don’t want to hear the truth.

Like those folks in Germany, who did not even realize the horrors that were happening just blocks away from their homes, they have been duped.

By Ray | 2 years ago Reply
  6. Your words enligthen me i can tell them to others too…praying to God to gives u more wisdom..

By vivien | 2 years ago Reply
  7. Thank you for your thoughts Christopher. I just wanted to encourage you to speak with more gentleness. You do not know the individual desires of each homosexual, and I don’t believe that you are claiming to, but with more gentleness, the broken and hurting individuals will be able to hear you.

By Ally | 2 years ago Reply