You Are Enough.

You are enough.

We all too often forget how powerful these three little words can be in our daily lives. How often do you hear these words throughout your day? Almost never. Instead, we find ourselves glancing in dismay at the bathroom mirror, our vision clouded by what we want to see rather than the beauty of God’s creation before us. Or maybe we stare hopelessly at another man or woman we deem to look or be better than ourselves because of what they have that we wish we did. Why is it that we seek to compare, to change, and to perfect?

We treat our own bodies as if they are broken. We come to believe the lies that if we were just skinnier, just stronger, just a little bit more, then we would be happy. And here lies the problem. We come to believe that our self worth, our happiness, lies within our own grasp. We believe it is something that must be attained and earned. We forget that we are not perfect because society says so, but we are perfect because our Father says so. We are not worthy of love because we look a certain way, but because we have been handcrafted for love, by Love.

When we come to truly believe these words, we are free to fully express ourselves and even come to love ourselves. Our self worth and dignity, and herein our happiness, lie not in something that we can attain, but in someone who has created us, loves us, and wants the very best for us. This very person has also proven that we are worth dying for.

Today we invite you to try believing in this truth. Believe that you are loved, you are smart, you are beautiful, you are strong, and you are enough. Then sit back and watch the beauty that will unfold as you truly begin to live. Any time that you need a reminder simply look at a crucifix, for there in the eyes of the man hanging on that cross, you will find just how much you are truly worth.

It is in coming to this realization that we are freed not only to love ourselves, but to allow ourselves to truly love, and be loved, by others. This is SO key with any relationship. No person can affirm you enough that you will come to realize your self worth. No amount of “Wow, you are beautiful/ handsome/ strong/ capable/ etc…” from your boyfriend or girlfriend will make you believe it. Seek the answers to: “Who am I?” “Am I loved?” “Am I beautiful?” from Christ first, and then simply live in that love. Strangely enough, it is when you are complete in Christ’s love, when you realize that you are enough with or without a boyfriend or girlfriend, that God tends to bring someone new into your life.

Adaptation of a blog originally posted on EdgeGodIn.com

____________________________________________

kaylinKaylin Koslosky is finishing up her final year at Colorado State University, where she is pursuing her love for science and secondary education. She is a member of Chi Omega, a FOCUS student missionary, and a Biblestudy and retreat leader for RamCatholic. She loves hiking and being outdoors, and is passionate about sharing the beauty of Christ and this world with others. She is currently working to publish her first book with her best friend Megan Finegan as a way of spreading a much-needed message of love to her female peers.

meganMegan Finegan recently graduated from Benedictine College with a double major in Psychology and Criminology. She graduated after studying abroad in Florence, Italy and being a Gregorian Fellows scholar. She loves shopping and the craze of cities, and is passionate about seeking to prevent injustice and help those victimized by it. She is currently working to publish her first book with her best friend Kaylin Koslosky as a way of spreading a much-needed message of love to her female peers.

1. So just wondering does this apply to women wearing makeup? How many women wear it because as you say they don’t feel they ate enough. They have make themselves up. Make themselves better than what God made them.

By Dave | 1 year ago Reply
    • Yes, technically it does apply to women wearing makeup. If they are using it as a way to hide their insecurity or are doing it out of fear of what others will think if they don’t wear it, makeup can be unhealthy. I have had personal experience in this department and still struggle with it. Makeup is meant to enhance our beauty, not to hide behind. Also, it is important that a woman realize that she is beautiful, both inside and out, because of God, not makeup.

By Liv | 1 year ago Reply
    • The best advice I’ve ever heard about makeup is that it’s not meant to cover up your natural beauty but rather enhance it. For example, eyeliner applied well accentuates a girl’s eyes, which are naturally beautiful. I think you’re right that, unfortunately, that many girls have the wrong idea about makeup–that there’s something wrong with them, and so they need to form a mask out of cosmetics. But if it’s used well, it can be a great tool–and fun!

By Sophie | 1 year ago Reply
    • What about people who wear make up as a form of self expression?

By Ada | 1 year ago Reply
  2. Another rocking block that addresses giving more authority to God within us and His omnipresent love than to the opinions of the world…including our opinion of what we see in the mirror! Thank you

By Lauren | 1 year ago Reply
  3. Thank you for this beautiful reminder.

By Lauren | 1 year ago Reply
  4. Love it!

By Therese Brady | 1 year ago Reply
  5. I don’t think there is anything wrong in women wearing make-up. I like the way blush or lipstick gives a pale cheek or lip some color. As long as a woman doesn’t go overboard and “hides” behind her makeup, then she should go right ahead. The article is about self worth. About realizing that being created in God’s image and likeness makes us beautiful no matter how the rest of the world judges us. This knowledge and the use of makeup doesn’t have to be a contradiction.

By Sukey | 1 year ago Reply
  6. Being a cradle catholic and going to a catholic school from Kindergarten through my sophomore year of college, I have known this and been told this my entire life. But knowing is different than believing. Believing that you are in fact enough for God and for others can be incredibly difficult, especially when you see so many others who look so happy and have so many friends. For quiet and timid girls like myself at a college where it should be so easy to make so many friends, the lie stands strong: you are not good enough.

By Kathryn | 1 year ago Reply
    • I had a similar upbringing Kathryn and I know what you mean. This battle for self-love is a daily struggle. And it is a struggle for all girls. Even girls that act confident and like they have it all figured out, I guarantee that if you ask them, they have plenty of their own insecurities. But recognizing the struggle is the first step, so now I encourage you to take this struggle and take action. Some things that helped both Megan and I were putting little sticky notes up on every mirror in our houses (and as the backgrounds on our phones) that say anything from quotes, to Bible verses, to simply “You are beautiful.” Then when you look in the mirror and are tempted to judge, look at those instead. And another thing that helps is every time you hear your thoughts straying towards negativity, force yourself to say something positive about yourself, or have a go-to prayer or Bible verse. Then go to that every time and soon you’ll form that habit instead of a habit of beating up on yourself (as we all seem to naturally have). Stay strong girl, and know that you are not in this fight alone!! And we mean every word when we say that you are enough, you are so much more than enough. You are absolutely beautiful, ask God to show you just how beautiful.

By Kaylin | 1 year ago Reply
  7. This is probably a totally stupid question but here it goes:
    How do you know that we are enough?
    How do you know that any given person is enough?

As a craddle catholic i heared this a lot in church and during catechesis but there was never any evidence provided for it. Of course i can only speak for myself (i have no troubles believing that any of the other readers here and the authors are enough) but i’m 100% certain i’m definitely NOT enough. It takes a large stretch to even believe that God so much as like me.
    What i really want to know where the idea that God loves us comes from. It cannot just come from the conviction that there is a God, many other great religions have God(s) with conditional love. So where is the evidence that Jesus who is God incarnate loves us? The argument that he died on the cross doesn’t count. Since he might have died for person X&Y and not for person Z. It overs no proof that he actually died for one particular person. Or put differently would he have done it if it were only for one person? I cannot believe Jesus would have died for me if i were that only person.

Sorry if this was a stupid question or rather questions. I hope this did not offend anyone as this was clearly not my intention.

By nicole | 1 year ago Reply
  8. Hi! I really like this post, I found so many answers in it! so thank you for writing it! I’d like to translate it in croatian and post in on my blog, but I would like to ask you a permission for that. I will post the link of original version, of course. So would you mind if I translatte it?

By Marija | 1 year ago Reply